Happy Friday and Happy Derby Weekend!
There's really no better time to be a Kentuckian (or an honorary Kentuckian for the day)! Most Kentuckians have the good sense to enjoy the Derby at a location other than Churchill Downs, but many will head to Dawn at the Downs, Thurby, or Oaks.
- This video was circulating on many of my Kentucky friends' Facebook pages this week, and it really is beautiful to listen to and watch. Ben Sollee is one of my favorite musicians. We're so lucky that he plays frequently throughout the state because his concerts are wonderful! If you haven't seen him perform, you should make that a priority this summer.
- The Kentucky Derby is synonymous with beautiful hats. Since I'll be celebrating at a party in Lexington, I went with something a little more low-key. I ordered this hat from MonogramRose and you can check out her Facebook page for discount codes and giveaways. I may add a silk bow for Derby weekend and then remove it, so I can wear it to the lake and beach this summer. - Laura
- If you're still looking for the perfect Derby outfit for a casual party or something more dressy for the track, Vineyard Vines has a great selection in their Derby Collection. I've seen the Derby Collection at Von Maur and the Keeneland Gift Shop, and I'm sure you can find it at other local retailers if you don't have time to order online. The top below would look great with white jeans or shorts for a casual Derby party, and paired with a fun pink hat, this dress would be perfect for The Oaks or Derby.
- Living less than a mile from Churchill Downs has it's perks during Derby week. Although I'll be avoiding this part of town on the day of Derby, I will be hosting my second annual Oaks brunch on Friday morning and walking to the races around noon. I try to keep the menu as Kentucky-themed as possible. I'll be repeating these hot brown sliders that were a huge hit last year, and preparing a couple of pitchers of mint juleps using this recipe. - Sarah
- If you find yourself in need of some Bluegrass housewares, Louisville Stoneware is the perfect place to check. Laura and Jay received these julep cups last year for Christmas, and Sarah collects the pieces to this pattern.
- While big hats and bourbon are certainly the essence of Derby, there's another side to Derby that doesn't often get publicized. Read this article on The Daily South for Southern Living to get a peek into the infield and all the essentials you need to have a great Derby!