Today is my 30th birthday. I'm not normally a huge birthday celebrator, but I feel like changing decades is a big deal. Last summer, I was thinking about taking a trip to Spain or somewhere equally exciting to celebrate turning 30, but at 38 weeks pregnant, I'll be happy with a piece of chocolate cake from Le Matin and a prenatal massage. I semi-joke that I'm going to celebrate turning 30 on my next birthday because I really want a trip to Spain (and a big glass of Spanish red).
Our #1 blog reader, aka Mom, requested that I do an update on the 30 before 30 list that I made on my 28th birthday. I didn't tackle everything on the list, but I did reach about 2/3 of my goals. I'll optimistically call it win because it forced me to try some new things, rekindle some favorite habits, and get out of my comfort zone. The goals I completed are highlighted below.
- Take a cooking class
- Start playing tennis regularly again
- Reconnect with 5 old friends
- Become more knowledgeable about wine
- Spend a weekend completely unplugged
- Grow strawberries in my garden - Solid attempt with little success
- Become a mom - Fingers crossed I'm less than 2 weeks away
- Travel to New England
- Travel to the West Coast
- Read 40 new books
- Make an original pieces of artwork to hang in my home
- Start a gratitude journal - I technically started one, but I didn't keep it up... whoops!
- Make 50 new recipes
- Start a book club
- Try the Whole 30 - I'm blaming pregnancy for this one. Maybe I'll try this for losing baby weight.
- Run a destination half marathon - Another one I'm blaming pregnancy for not completing. I've got my eye on a couple!
- Send a handwritten note a friend once a month
- Organize my wedding photos
- Become proficient at Photoshop
- Do paddle board yoga - Did not attempt, but I did start paddle boarding more at the lake.
- Take professional family photos
- Volunteer on a regular basis
- Do a full month of barre classes - I have no excuse other than laziness for this one.
- Host a slumber party style girls’ night-in
- Establish a designated date night every week - Again, no valiant effort here, but will try to do this once we survive the newborn haze, even if it is an at-home date night after the baby goes to bed.
- Attend a blog conference - Nope, but hope to in the future.
- Learn to do my makeup well - Tried some new products and techniques, but this may be something I give up on. I'm just not a hair and makeup person.
- Start a monthly supper club - No, but we invited more friends over for casual, low-stress weeknight meals on a whim.
- Learn to use a sewing machine
- Attend the Kentucky Oaks
I'm planning to make a 40 before 40 list soon, and I may carry over some of the goals that I didn't complete. I have a feeling I'm going to need all 10 years this decade to accomplish my next bucket list.
Do you have any fun and creative goals on your list?